Tuesday 30 July 2013

The Writing on the Walls

Most of my posts so far have been about pictures of one kind or another, or even words turned into pictures, painted around the streets of Cork. So this time, I thought I might share the various words of wisdom (or otherwise) that I've found written up around the city.

These kinds of pieces can provide surprisingly decent food for thought at times, as one is strolling down the street to the shop or pub or wherever....

For instance, I photographed this contribution at Grenville Place in July 2012....

"Man is not stupid or intelligent - He is Free of not!!!!!" 


I found the following written on the side of a bank at Parnell Place in June 2012. I think the way this word is scratched in black onto a dull grey wall of stone is somehow evocative of these recessionary times....

"RECESSION!"


I found this one written on the front wall of the Kino Cinema - sadly derelict at the time - in July 2012....

"ZEITGEIST - AFRAID OF D TRUTH"


I found this on Wellington Road in August 2012, obviously a comment on the ESM, or European Stability Mechanism, which was approved in Ireland by a referendum at the end of May 2012...

"EUROPEAN STUPIDITY MECHANISM - YES"


I took this picture of a "ballot bin" at St. Patrick's Place in July 2012....

"LITTER BALLOT BOX"


These are some contributions I found on walls around Sullivan's Quay in June 2012....

"Are you living or just existing? turn off the t.v., put away the
internet, travel, rediscover what's important, open your heart,
face your fears, when you suffer, suffer, slow down, talk to
old people, (especially old nuns). Don't be a living ghost!!!"   


"WATCHING T.V. CAUSES CANCER"
 

"I WONDER WHY CAVEVEMEN DID THIS?" 
 

"THE BEGINNING OF THE END"


I found this one off the White Street car park in August 2012.

"I will never forget, I will never regret, I will live my life"


I found these last two items on Richmond Hill in September 2012.
 
"RELIGION IS FOR OLD PEOPLE ONLY"


"AS the ASS FALLS OUT OF WOURLD CAPITALISM
SICK PEOPLE PAINT LIKE MAD" 

No comments:

Post a Comment